Thank you for your interest in working for YMCA Newark and Sherwood, which is a branch charity of Nottinghamshire YMCA.
Please read these notes as they will help you to fill in your application form and will also give you information about working for us. Please note that due to the importance we place on safeguarding children, young people and vulnerable adults all of our posts are subject to a DBS check and references.
1. Completing your Application Form
On your application form you need to show us how you meet the requirements listed on the person specification.
The main points to remember when filling in your application form are:-
- Use dark ink
- Fill in all the sections of the form – please do not send a CV as it will not be considered.
- Read the job description and person specification carefully and think how your skills, knowledge and experience match the requirements.
- Show how you meet the requirements marked with an “A” on the person specification. It may help you to organise your information if you use the requirements as individual headings.
- Fill in your form as fully as possible as we will not be able to make assumptions about your abilities and will not take into account previous applications or previous knowledge about you.
- Make sure that if you say you can do something you give evidence of this on your application form.
- If you have insufficient space then please continue on additional sheets.
- If possible make a copy of your completed form and keep it for future reference.
- Remember that the other requirements not marked with an “A” on the person specification will be tested elsewhere in the recruitment process e.g. in the interview, by a test, by looking at your documents etc
- Make sure you return the form to us before the closing date, as we don’t normally accept late applications.
- Mark the envelope “Application Form” and post it to Human Resources, Nottinghamshire YMCA, 4 Shakespeare Street, Nottingham, NG1 4FG.
2. What Next?
Due to our charitable status we try to contain costs and therefore do not acknowledge receipt of your form or contact applicants who have not been shortlisted.
If you have been shortlisted we will try to contact you within 3 weeks of the closing date so if you haven’t heard by then please assume that you haven’t been short-listed on this occasion.
3. Note for Disabled Applicants
4. Working for Nottinghamshire YMCA
“Our mission, based on Christian values, is to develop the mind, body and spirit of individuals, families and communities and to improve health and well being for all.”
- You will join an organisation that is working towards a culture where its Christian core values of honesty, caring, respect and responsibility are at the centre of all we do.
- All contracted employees enjoy a minimum of 31 days annual leave each year inclusive of bank holidays rising by a day a year for the first five years of employment, rising by a further two days after ten years and a further two days after fifteen years.
- You are offered free membership of our Health and Fitness facilities including a large modern gym and a range of exercise classes plus reduced cost membership of our amazing 1871 / Cross fit gym.
- If you are new to Nottinghamshire YMCA you will be subject to a probationary period of 6 months during which you will receive regular assessment, support and feedback. If, at the end of this period we are happy with your work and conduct your employment will be confirmed.
- You will have the chance to join a pension scheme with Royal London – a well known and recognised pension provider.
- Every contracted member of staff can have up to a day each year as Volunteer Leave to volunteer for one of our chosen volunteer initiatives.
- After successfully completing your probationary period you will be eligible for a range of employee discounts and benefit schemes including assistance towards childcare costs, travel costs, gym membership or a health cash plan plus access to a green travel loan or a training loan.
- Due to the nature of our work many of our posts are subject to a DBS Check (which we will pay for) and depending on your position you might be required to register with the DBS Update Service.
- We have good quality drinking water and free tea, coffee and other refreshments at all sites.
- You will be offered development and training opportunities.
- In the autumn / winter months we offer reimbursement for any staff who want a flu jab and have to pay for it
- Your salary will be paid straight into your bank on the 22nd of each month or the last working day before this date.